Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The 3 hour Glucose Test

In a nutshell, I passed!!!!


The longer version: I arrived at 8:30. The tech took my initial sugar at 82. It had to be below 95 so that was good. I drank an awful, awful sugary drink that was much sweeter than yesterday's. It made me want to throw up, but I kept it in. So I sat and waited and read until 9:35. Tech took another finger prick and my sugar was 165. It had to be below 180. Check! I went back and waited another hour. (By now my booty was numb from the wooden chairs, I had a headache from staring at the bright yellow walls, and I wanted water!) At 10:40 I got another prick and another reading. It needed to be below 160 and my sugar was 152. At this point, I felt a lot better. After researching it last night, I knew that most docs would accept that I didn't have GD if at least 3 of my 4 sugars was in range. Since I knew that 3 of the my 4 would be good, I felt a huge wave of relief. Finally when I thought I was about to faint from hunger, it was 11:40 and time for the final prick. My sugar was 146. It needed to be 140 or less. Oops. The tech mentioned that my doc would probably want me to make a few changes in diet, but we'd discuss that at my next appt in Feb.

Thank goodness it's over!

No comments: