Thursday, June 26, 2008

Daycare Search and Goob's 1st Tour of the Neighborhood

So I started the day care search a few days ago. I got a list from the Dept of Family and Protective Services of all the day care centers in our town. There are about 15. My first choice (where my cousins go) has a waiting list of about 10 kids. My second choice has openings.

So today J and I went and took a look at the place. The director was running an errand so the asst took us around. I will be going back next week to talk to the director. The place looked okay. (I have nothing to compare it to though.) Right now they have 4 babies in the baby room and two teachers. Not bad! Goob would be the youngest if we decide to go there. There was a bunch of toys. Some tummy time mats. It looked like a good environment. I got a copy of their schedule. It looks good, and the teacher did make it a point to tell me that they do deviate from it when the babies need to.

The cost is $95 a week which is standard for our town. All the day cares I called had a weekly cost of $95. I think one was $85. It's always $95 no matter how many days or how long a day he's there. That's a bummer since Goob will only be in daycare a maximum of 4 days a week becuase of J's job. And every other week it'll only be 3 days a week. And they have no set time of when the kids have to be there. (I called one day care and they told me that they stop accepting kids after 8:30?!?!?! Huh?) So basically, if J's working late, he can drop Goob off at 2 and I'll be there to pick him up at 4. Not bad!

We didn't commit to anything, but we'll need to soon since space is filling up.

My mom was going to talk to my aunt about someone she knows who does child care and get some info. It's supposedly a real close family friend. So I'll check that out soon.

Anyways, we left that day care, we went window shopping looking at some of the other day cares on my list. Several of them got vetoed. Some because of location. They were just too far away. Some because of the look of the place.


After day care hunting, we went to dinner, came home, and busted out the jogging stroller. It wasn't hot. The sun was going down. Goob had just finished eating so we strapped him in and went walking. At first, Goob got a little whiny, but once we got going, he was in awe looking around and exploring. We showed him some ducks, a lake, willow trees, palm trees. He saw his first cat. We went one and a half miles, and then Goob was done. We cut the walk short and went home. Just in time too, because as we walked up the driveway, Goob was hysterical.

It was kinda bittersweet on the walk. The last time J and I walked was April 27 (the day before I went into labor). Things were a lot different this time around.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I'm glad you found a place you like. Hope it works out for you. Wow $95/week is awesome. Where I am it's approximately $150/week and same rules, regardless of how many days/hours its the same rate. Yay for a family walk!