Saturday, June 28, 2008

Working towards sleeping through the night...

A few nights ago, Goob slept from 10ish to around 6:30. It was amazing. But the next night it was back to normal with Goob waking up around 3 or 4. So J and I decided that we really needed to start working on getting him to sleep through the night. I picked up a book that I heard about, The Baby Whisperer. I started reading it last night. And I'm going to seriously try to put Goob on the EASY routine. But I did read a few things about sleeping through the night. The biggest thing I saw was that a baby Goob's size did NOT need to be waking to eat in the middle of the night. (Woo hoo!) And that if he was waking it was probably out of habit and not hunger.

So last night, we put Goob down at 9. At 11, I gave him a "dream feed." He barely opened his eyes. He took about 2 oz, and then was back to dreamland by the time I put him in his bassinet. So J and I were in bed around 11:45.

At 2:30 Goob is up. We had already decided to try and give him a pacifier instead of a bottle. So J got up, reswaddled him, and gave him a pacifier. And...sleep! (YAY!)

At 4, Goob is up. We decide to try the pacifer thing again. And after a few sucks, he's out like a light! (Yay!)

At 5, Goob is up. It's been about 6 hours since his last feeding, so we fed him. He finished his bottle. J changed him and played with him for a few minutes while I finished pumping, and Goob went back to bed for a few hours!

So, our first night trying for sleeping through the night was a step in the right direction. Woo hoo!!

2 comments:

Hope said...

I hope he starts sleeping through the night more often for you:)

Laura Tenenbaum said...

Glad to hear it's working for you! It took us about a week and now he doesn't wake up for the pacifier...

Ben sleeps from about 10-5,...which is much better than every 3 hrs!