Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Goob's Surgery

So we've been fighting ear infections and fluid in ear FOREVER! It started last August and has been continuing until now.

Our ped originally prescribed Claritin Allergy meds last October. It didn't help with the fluid. The infections would clear with antibiotics. The fluid won't budge. So in December, ped prescribed Claritin AND Nasonex spray. Still didn't work. Finally in January, he referred us to see an ENT.

The whole time during this process I was freaking out because I was worried that his hearing and speech development would be behind. The doc even mentioned Goob going deaf. Hello, don't say stuff like that to me. I'm a hypochondriac and I always overanalyze.

We finally got an appointment with the ENT for mid February. We confirmed that he did have fluid in the ears and beginnings of an infection. Doc prescribed heavy duty antibiotics. And we had a follow up in March. Fluid was still there during follow up. So it was time for tubes.

Tube surgery was scheduled for April 9th. We had to jump through so many hoops to get our insurance straighten out, but thankfully we got it all in line. (It's all out of network so we ended up paying a pretty penny.)

So last Wednesday night, my parents came in to be with me during the surgery and afterwards. They arrived late and we all went right to be. Goob had been asleep since 8. And I was instructed not to give him any thing to eat/drink after 12. And wouldn't you know that he woke up at 1 am?

He was very stubborn and wouldn't go back to sleep. And of course once he was awake, he saw his grandparents and thought it was time to play. Finally, finally, finally, my dad got him to sleep around 4 am. Enough time for me to barely get back into REM sleep before I had to be up by 5:45 to get to the Ambulatory CEnter at 6:30.

We arrived at 6:30. Goobs came in his pjs. He was happy as a clam with his grandpa.



And a water bottle.




Around 7, they called us back. My mom and I went to the pre-op and changed him into his hospital gown and talked to the docs.



He looked so cute in that little hospital gown. But hopefully, it'll be the only time he'll ever been in one.



Then one of the docs came and picked up Christian and started cuddling and tickling him and took him back. I loved that they didn't make this long drawn out goodbye. Just really quick. I got a little teary-eyed.

I walked back to the waiting room and sat down and called J and told him what happened. While I was still on the phone, the recovery nurse came and got me and told me they were done. It took less than 10 minutes.

It was a snap. But coming out of the gas was not. He cried and cried and cried for about 20 minutes. Finally, he was able to eat and cuddle with me and quieted down. About 30 minutes after surgery, I got him dressed and we were out of there.

He wasn't too happy about getting dressed. He really liked that hospital gown.


We left the facility at about 8 am. It only took 90 minutes from entrance to exit.

At home, he ate some pancakes and got his ear drops and Tylenol and went to sleep for several hours. By that afternoon, he was as good as new.

And I'm already noticing that he's a lot more vocal. We went to my Aunt's house on Saturday and it echoes and he was yelling and screaming just to hear himself. I think he liked the echoing.

The only set back was some minor bleeding on Saturday. I put his ear drops in and blood came out. Called ENT and he said it was probably infected and just to keep putting in drops. And the bleeding stopped!

We have a follow up appt on April 23rd. I'm so glad this is all behind us.

No comments: