Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why?

My week started out okay.... I woke up on Monday, took a shower, got dressed, and then my phone started ringing. It's never a good sign when someone calls you before 7 am.

One of my really good friends whom I teach with was on the phone. She said that she's bleeding and her doc wants her to come to the office asap. Did I mention she's 20 weeks pregnant? I told her I'd cover her class and for her just to concentrate on keeping her and her little one safe. I assumed she was going to be fine. I was hoping it was nothing.

I didn't hear anything during the day until our conference period. Then I went to make copies and our asst. principal tells me that the secretary just spoke to my friend and that she lost the baby. What? I was totally confused. How could she just lose the baby? She's 5 months pregnant. There's a baby in there!!! What happened?

I decided to wait until afterschool to call her. But as I'm getting in my car, I notice I have 2 missed calls the Medical Center. It's my friend. She's been admitted for pre-term labor. She had been dilating and having contraction and that's what caused the bleeding. She said that she hadn't lost the baby yet. But the doc thinks that what's gonna happen. But for the time being they are trying to stop the labor. I tell her I love her and to stay strong and I'll call her tomorrow.

I get to school the next day and it seems like everyone knows that she lost the baby. I get pissed and let everyone know that that hasn't happened yet and that they need to keep her in their prayers. (I think my pregnancy hormones got the best of me!)

I called her at lunch time and she's already crying. The doc had just left her room and there's been no change in stopping her labor. He's ready to induce her. He told her that there's just no way that baby will make it. It's just too soon. She's gonna have to deliver her baby. She's losing it on the phone. I hear it in her voice. There are no words to say at moments like this.

She calls me Wednesday morning and tells me everything is done. She made it through delivery okay. She's already feeling better. She had her second beautiful son and he died shortly after coming to this world.

Why? What is the reasoning behind this? Why does anyone have to go through something like this? I just don't understand. I know that God has a plan for us all, but it's times like these that we've gotta have extra faith.


I did go by and see her today and she's doing amazing. I really admire her strength, and she's already talking about giving it another go. Wow.

No comments: