Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Car

This morning as I was leaving for work, I had a realization. It came to me when I was snapping Goob's (empty) car seat into the base. (Empty, because his dad to him to daycare.)

My realization is that I am a mom and I drive a mom's car.

When I was in high school, I drove a teenager's car. The car was ancient. The windows didn't work. And the AC was iffy. But it was glorious! My own set of wheels. I had my dance team clothes in piles in the back. I had no less than 2 pairs of pom-poms. I had tons of magazines, CDs, several empty cups. And I'll admit a ton of trash from eating fast food. I also had at least 2 or 3 other girls who I was carpooling with.

When I was in college, I drove a college student's car. It was a new car, a hs grad gift from my parents. It was silver and it could go FAST! (Believe me, I got at least 4 speeding tickets during my sophomore year) In the car, I had sorority binders and folders. A KDX jacket. I had huge textbooks that weighed more than small children. I had paper and pencils. I had my student ID with Aggie bucks! I had football tickets. I had my boyfriend who relied on me to take his booty everywhere since he was carless. I had my two roommates who decided they liked my car better than theirs.

When I graduated and became a teacher, I had a teacher's car. I had retired my Fast Silver Car and inherited my mom's impala. It was okay. It was bigger and more roomy. I now had papers to grade littering the back seat. I had red pens and stickers in the cup holders. I had a new expensive purse in the seat next to me since I was now making good money and had no one to support. I had take out food in the backseat since there was no way on earth I was ever cooking.

Now I am a mom and I have a mom's car. It's a crossover with a lot of room. It's new and has all the safety features a new mom could ever need. I have a car seat in the back seat. In the very back, I have 2 strollers, one an umbrella stroller, one a full-size stroller. I have a pack of old size two diapers that we never used. I have wipes. I have a stocked and ready to go diaper bag just in case. I have a pacifier in the cup holders. I have a sippy cup in the back seat and several toys. I have 2 Winnie the Pooh towels. I have a 6 CD changer. At least 3 of the CDs currently in rotation are nursery rhymes that I can sing at the top of my lungs to calm a crying baby.

I drive a mom's car. And I love it.

No comments: