Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Broken Windows: Rowdy neighbors or a botched break-in?


So I was out of my house all last week from May 1st through May 8th. We came home last Friday. I got to the house first since we were in separate cars.

As I walked in from the garage, the first thing I felt was a spider web in my face. Yuck! I wondered how on earth that got there, but quickly dismissed it and went on with unpacking and waiting for my boys. Then I noticed that the AC was running which was odd because when I left it set for 95 degrees. But I didn't think about that too much.

About 20 minutes later, the boys walk in and start unloading J's car. It's already late about 9:30 and we hear the neighbors having a party outside. Christian is wired from sitting in a car for 4 hours so we let him wander around the house while we finish unloading. Once everything is settled down, J notices that part of our crown molding in the kitchen is falling (just barely). We figure that it's just the house settling. So we decide to turn on our soaker hoses for the night to moisten the ground.

As J's walking outside and I'm at the dining room tables inside, I noticed there's a piece of glass on the floor near the table. I scooped up Christian and yelled for J. We both noticed it at the same time. There was a hole in our double paned windows.

J called the cops and kept inspecting the gash. And then used a flashlight to check out the rest of the backyard. There were fast food wrappers all over and our patio chairs were strewn out the yard. We immediately suspected our neighbors kids.

We've always had issues with our neighbors. They are constantly throwing crap into our back yard. (I remember when I was a million months pregnant and I was outside picking up chicken wing bones and beer cans so the dogs wouldn't get them.) They've wrapped our house, etc, etc, etc. They are awful.

The cops arrives. We tell him what we know and he's off next door to ask them some questions. The cop come back and agrees with us. The neighbors are admitting to their kids being in our backyard with some of their friends a couple evenings, but not to breaking the windows. We have no proof but the cops really thinks it's probably them. We get a police report for our insurance and off he goes. We taped it up and have plans to get it fixed this week.


But the story gets more complicated.... That all happened Friday night. Well, on Saturday my dad and J are working on the house and yard while my mom and I and baby are getting ready for a Mother's Day bbq. While J is outside, our neighbor on the other side comes by and to let us know that she was broken into the previous Saturday. Someone threw a piece of concrete into her sliding glass door and took her TVs, lap tops, stereo, and jewelry.

Did someone break into her house and then try to come for ours? We know that nothing was stolen from our home. Our computer, TVs, video game systems, etc are all accounted for. I have no jewelry of value other than my engagement ring and wedding rings which I always have on. So we don't think anyone was in our home. There was glass on the ledge of the window which wouldn't have been there is someone had crawled through. The blinds weren't messed up which they wouldn't been if someone crawled in, etc.

We don't know what happened.

No comments: